Who We Are
The Abernathy Public Library (inside City Hall) is located in Abernathy, Texas, situated at the Hale/Lubbock county line. Our population hovers at a little less than 3,000. The history of the library is filled with hard work, determination, a vision, and a community coming together for the common good.
- June 1951: the 1935 Study Club voted to begin a summer reading program. Each member was asked to donate 5 books which were stored in a club member's home until a room at the High School became available. Club members took turns as librarians.
-Fall 1951: The library moved to the Elementary School. Shelves were filled with book donations from townspeople and the Study Club spent $50 for new books.
-October 1951: The library was given the name "Abernathy Public Library".
-1953: Mrs. Oma Toler became the first paid librarian.
-May 1955: The library was moved from the Elementary School to City Hall.
A lot of fun was enjoyed along the way with bake sales, fruitcake sales, birthday calendar sales and game parties.